Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Usability Assessment & Divorce

As for why individuals would most likely visit divorce websites, the first thing that comes to mind is that those individuals are struggling living alone or in the absence of their significant other. Maybe things ended unfavorably or with one spouse getting more out of the divorce than the other. Maybe that same spouse 'juked' their partner so that they purposefully would gain more assets through the court system. They probably also visit these types of divorce websites to see how they can help their children who will most likely be affected because of the separation. Additionally, they might be seeking information on how to improve their future relationships or seek information on how to improve their relationship techniques and habits.

My first bout through dadsdivorce.com, I felt compelled to visit the ask a lawyer link. After all, if I was to have a divorce right now as a 20 year old male (which is completely ridiculous) I would want to know what my lawyer could and couldn't do in order to help me through the divorce. I then clicked on the FAQ section to wee what other 'dads' were thinking. I figured that being able to identify with a group dealing with similar problems would best help me If I were to be a divorced dad. I lost interest after I saw that they had a link for how divorce impacts the military man: this is completely ridiculous - I don't feel that military men are impacted more than any other man who happens to be going through a divorce. What a shame that the army has to leave their stain on a website like this. The title should read: How Divorce Impacts the Common Man. That way every man feels included. The army can rot in hell. Sure military men might be more effected in the sense that they will be away at war and have no spouse to return to upon their end of duty, but I don't feel that this should be a section all to its self. Put it within the Common Man article as a sub section - for christs sake!

Next I viewed the Podcasts link because it is something which I am not very familiar with and I found it interesting that divorced men are speaking their mind of radio through itunes and ipods. This world truly is embracing convergence. Dadsdivorce.com also had a store section which is absolutely a meaningless place; t-shirts, hoodies, calendars, help cd's...what a bunch of crap. I'm sorry but this website started to annoy me. If I was ever in a divorce, I do not feel like I would ever even consider buying any of this junk. A divorce calendar? You've got to be kidding me.

I suppose I should have looked through the Dadsdivorce website a little more in depth, but I was starting to get angry with the site. Usually, I am one to have patience, but this website tested my limits. The way I went about interacting with the website only ended up upsetting me: the army, calendars, hoodies...what a waste. This website should focus more on the helping aspects of going through a divorce and less on merchandise and army recruitment. Oh your divorced? Well we've got the solution for you, join the army! Although, in retrospect, I do believe that the podcast section is a beneficial idea for the age in which we live in. Listening to other divorced dads talk about how they handled these pressing times etc is most likely a helpful thing for other dads looking for help and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment